Beautiful; By Katie Piper
genre } non-fiction | biography
rating } pg 18+
date released } February 17, 2011
edition } Ebury Press (320 p.)
ISBN } 0091940761 | 978-0091940768
acquisition } bought
available @ Book Depository |
'I heard a horrible screaming sound, like an animal being slaughtered ...then I realised it was me.' When Katie Piper was 24, her life was near perfect. Young and beautiful, she was well on her way to fulfilling her dream of becoming a model. But then she met Daniel Lynch on Facebook and her world quickly turned into a nightmare ...After being held captive and brutally raped by her new boyfriend, Katie was subjected to a vicious acid attack. Within seconds, this bright and bubbly girl could feel her looks and the life she loved melting away. Since then Katie has gone on to inspire millions with her brave determination, but the journey hasn't been easy. "Beautiful" is the moving true story of how one young woman had her mind, body and spirit cruelly snatched from her and how she inspired millions with her fight to get them back.
My 2 cents
Before I begin, let me put forth the fact that, I do not read non-fiction. Let make me be clear: I DO NOT read biography. But this book has open my eyes to this particular genre. I have been attracted to:
1. The cover
2. The excerpt I read before I pick it up to buy.
I wasn’t disappointed. This was an absolute page turner. A worth keeper. I am amaze I haven’t heard of it among my book friends, and any of my blogger friends. Come on guys! Pick this book up! Why haven’t you pick this one one? I urge you. I recommend you. I want you to pick this book up.
Honestly, it was an inspiring and motivation read. If you’re ever broken in any way, Katie Piper would be the one who can inspire you to stand on your two feet again. Katie Piper is a very strong woman. I actually ended up looking for her through out the internet after reading that one book.
This is a fast read. If you have a time to spare like a whole day or so, I suggest on picking this book up. More ever, as I have said before, if you’re down and Chicken Soup for the Soul franchise has turned bad for your taste (yes, it is for me!) this is an excellent book for you.
Come on, she bounced back, as hard as it is, she bounce back! Reading through her ups, down, thoughts, trials and error, and she reminds me how in some place, people actually condemn acid victims, by assuming them as adulterer or some what like. Which I also condemn in the first place. It pisses me off her assaulters didn’t get life in prison, and it pisses me off the reading about that woman prison guard.. nu uh! pick up and read so you know why I’m piss off!
Ok… as you can see, this book has impacted me vastly and it has set down to be one of my favorite of all time.
Monday, May 30, 2011
Beautiful; By Katie Piper
Sunday, May 29, 2011
46. Would you ever try to quit one of your addictions, or better said: Bad Habits? Yes.. no working yet.
47. Could you ever kill yourself to save someone else? Yes
48. Does it matter if break up with someone or have them dump you? Depends
49. Would you rather have a turtle or a frog for a pet? Frog
50. Would you rather spend a day with Lady Gaga or Miley Cyrus? Lady Gaga. I don’t like whiney little spoiled girls –_-“
51. Would you rather learn to play piano or guitar? Guitar
52. We're going back to the day. Where did you get your kicks? back when I have time to write.
53. What Asian country would you like to visit the most? Why? China.. I like to visit Forbidden city one day.
54. Have you ever thought that a passer-by was the one (think James Blunt, here)? nope
55. Ever told someone that your fake jewelery was really real? Yes hehe
56. Where are the worst public restrooms? honestly? that restroom near one of teh markets.
57. What song was the latest one that got overplayed really fast? Friday
58. What Friends (American TV show from the 90s) character are you most like? Phobe
59. When's the last time you had a Popsicle? Last night.
60. What TV show from way back would you love to see reappear?
Twin Peaks, Airwolf, Mission Impossible, Murphy Brown, 21 Jump Street, Family Matters, Mr. Belvedere, Unsolved Mysteries, Macgyver, Star Trek The Next Generation, etc
Saturday, May 28, 2011
Friday, May 27, 2011
Thursday, May 26, 2011
Tuesday, May 24, 2011
♣ Hosted by Should Be Reading
♣ Grab your current read
♣ Open to a random page
♣ Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
♣ BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
♣ Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
by Katie Piper
He was scruffy and unkempt, and his dark eyes stared into mine. The reminded me of Danny’s – crazed and possessed, like a deranged killer in a scary film. I shivered, then told myself I was being paranoid and silly. He was just a druggy or a beggar, and all he wanted was me to out some money in his cup. In that moment, I actually felt sorry for him. ‘Poor guy,’ I thought, ‘he must have an awful life.’ Still on the phone to Danny, I rested my mobile in the crook of my neck and reached into my bag to get my purse.
’Wait a minute, Danny,’ I told him.
By now, the young guy was only an arm’s length away from me. I was still trying to dig my purse out from in the depths of my bag when it happened.
Splash. The guy chucked the contents of the cup at my face and, in that split second, my life changed forever.
Monday, May 23, 2011
Mailbox Monday was originally hosted by Marcia at The Printed Page, but is now a meme that travels to a new blog every month.This is a weekly meme is being hosted by Mari @ Mari Reads for the month of May. Join the fun and post what you got in your mailbox last week!
Just a few this week
Beautiful; by Katie Piper
I heard a horrible screaming sound, like an animal being slaughtered ...then I realised it was me.' When Katie Piper was 24, her life was near perfect. Young and beautiful, she was well on her way to fulfilling her dream of becoming a model. But then she met Daniel Lynch on Facebook and her world quickly turned into a nightmare ...After being held captive and brutally raped by her new boyfriend, Katie was subjected to a vicious acid attack. Within seconds, this bright and bubbly girl could feel her looks and the life she loved melting away. Since then Katie has gone on to inspire millions with her brave determination, but the journey hasn't been easy. "Beautiful" is the moving true story of how one young woman had her mind, body and spirit cruelly snatched from her and how she inspired millions with her fight to get them back.
Ever since the gods of Ancient Egypt were unleashed in the modern world, Carter Kane and his sister Sadie have been in trouble. As descendants of the House of Life, the Kanes have some powers at their command, but the devious gods haven't given them much time to master their skills at Brooklyn House, which has become a training ground for young magicians.
And now their most threatening enemy yet - the chaos snake Apophis - is rising. If they don't prevent him from breaking free in a few days' time, the world will come to an end. In other words, it's a typical week for the Kane family.
To have any chance of battling the Forces of Chaos, the Kanes must revive the sun god Ra. But that would be a feat more powerful than any magician has ever accomplished.
First they have to search the world for the three sections of the Book of Ra, then they have to learn how to chant its spells. Oh, and did we mention that no one knows where Ra is exactly?
Narrated in two different wisecracking voices, featuring a large cast of new and unforgettable characters, and with adventures spanning the globe, this second installment in the Kane Chronicles is nothing short of a thrill ride.
Sunday, May 15, 2011
Beastly; by Alex Flinn
genre } young adult | fantasy | fairy tales
rating } pg 13+
date released } October 1st, 2007
edition } HarperTeen (304 Pages)
ISBN } 0060874163 | 9780060874162
acquisition } bought
purchase @ } Book Depository | Beastly
Now a major motion picture starring Vanessa Hudgens and Alex Pettyfer
I am a beast.
Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright. I am a monster.
You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll, stay this way forever ruined unless I can break the spell.
Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly...beastly.
My 2 cents
Like many other books, the cover turned me off several times. A white rose. Thorny font. I actually didn’t pick it up, but actually assumed this is erotica o.0 What’s the deal anyway, since I actually read erotica you say, right? Still say the cover turned me off. The new cover however, has the movie poster slap on it.
You know the fairytale, man steal rose, man meet beast, beast wants to kill man, man cower and pleads, beast makes a bargain, man brings daughter to live with beast.
Forget it. This is NOT that book. This is a book about the Beast, who was a teenager in New York, who’s has been a very superficial teenager (who isn’t?), meet a weird girl and got turn into Beast. This is the story of him. His story, and nobody else but him.
Let me put it upfront that, I don’t like movie Kyle! He looked more like a tattooed emo punk rather than the Beast portray in the book itself. A fellow book blogger friend was telling me about this book, and I rush to get a copy. Make note. This is BEFORE the movie was up and around. So yes, nobody else actually know about Beastly but a few of us (in my circle of people that is)
I love the journey of watching Kyle transforming like a butterfly from a horrible brat to a thoughtful, lovable, young man. I pity him when his father abandoned him with help in the middle of nowhere because he is “Beastly”. But it bothers me the author didn’t tie the loose end regarding this matter.
It’s a fast read, but I actually went through it in my own time. If you’re an emo-reader like me, you would trash talk with this book’s characters while you read it. My favorite is the witch and his private tutor hired by his father (regardless shunning him, he actually left him with an unlimited credit card and a tutor. In my personal opinion, probably a bit of guilt.) other than the maid.
This book also apply the “Random Act of Kindness” leads a long way attitude. You see why when you read this book. The thing, this version actually make sense. If you think about it. Plus it’s way better than the usual cheesy kiddy version we get these days.
SO GET A COPY!
16. What was the last thing you did that was totally selfish, yet you feel no guilt? Bought the last ripe durian when there’s a customer after me wishing to buy it. What? I was in the mood.
17. Tell us about a film fave of yours that we probably have not seen. Not really sure, since it’ has been a while since I actually watch a movie that’s not within any body else favorite.
18. When was the last time you kissed someone that you shouldn't have on the lips? None.
19. When was the last time you cooked something for someone not in your family? Been a while.
20. When was the last time you danced like a crazy person? Every other day.
21. When was the last time you just wanted to be invisible? Whenever I need to finish some work :P
22. When was the last time you got a gift you absolutely hated? A while ago. It was a flower stub.
23. When was the last time you got into a physical fight? (If NEVER, let us know about a time that you got close to a fight.) That time when I was accuse of something I didn’t do. pfft!
24. When was the last time you had to sleep with a light on? Never
25. When was the last time you were under some serious stress? err… When am i not NOT stress in a week? But I found a way to not succumb.
26. When was the last time you watched your favorite movie? Last 2 nights.
27. What song did you most recently downloaded? Tak Rela by Merpati Band. Just wondering how it sounds like before I actually buy it.
28. What would you say is your favorite hobby? Watching TV, read, write, movie, etc
29. What is your favorite thing to do when you hang out with friends? Eat, Going nuts, random.
30. What would you rather do: shower or bathe with that celebrity that you are crushing on? bathe :P
Sunday, May 8, 2011
1. Which state do you consider to be the most boring state? The state of boredom
2. If any chef from the Food Network (or any well known chef) could cater your wedding, who would it be? Natalie
3. What's the last thing you ate that was red? Sambal Belachan (chili)
4. Have you ever questioned the sexuality orientation of a close friend? Nope
5. Everyone loses a friend after some big fight. Tell us about one. Too personal.
6. Have you ever washed an iPod or mp3 player in the washing machine? No.. err why?
7. Have you ever screamed / yelled angrily at a boss? Nope
8. Have you ever cried yourself to sleep? Yes
9. Have you ever regretted being in a relationship with someone? Yes
10. Have you ever acted like you understood something when you didn't have a clue? Yes lol
11. Have you ever thought someone must have been insane? If yes, tell us something about the person. yes but nah..
12. Have you ever pretended to be younger than what you are? Nope.
13. Back in the day, did you ever cry because you were turned down for a date? nope
14. Have you ever (or your significant other) had a pregnancy scare? Nope
15. Have you ever pretended to like someone when you didn't? Yes –_-“
Monday, May 2, 2011
Oh yes… I’m supposed to post up my reviews on Beastly, The Floods, Berenstain Bears, Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher; those motivational talks books and Demon Glass… I have been very busy with work, stockbooks and helping on organising the book fair at the school I work at. Yes we did a BOOK FAIR at a SCHOOL. It’s not something new, but we did it BIG FAT FAIR!
I’ll tell you all about it when I get a free time so! I’ll leave you with this tease until my little report